2018 Coverage

Farm Bureau Essential Rx
2018 Coverage


All Other Inquiries

7 Days a Week
8am - 8pm


About the Plan:

Our lower-premium plan covers a broad range of generic and brand name drugs. The plan’s five tiers of coverage give you cost sharing among generics and brand name drugs, as well as specialty drugs.

The plan has an annual deductible of $405.

For any preferred generic drug, you pay no more than $1 per month. And for any Preferred Brand drug, no more than $40 per month after deductible is met.


  • Monthly premium: $46.60
  • Annual deductible: $405
  • Tier 1- Preferred Generics: $1 copay per fill
  • Tier 2 - Generics: $5 copay per fill
  • Tier 3 - Preferred Brands: $40 copay per fill
  • Tier 4 - Non Preferred Generic/ Non Preferred Brand: 40% coinsurance per fill
  • Tier 5 - Specialty Generics or Brands 25% coinsurance per fill
  • Per fill is equal to a 30 day supply
Prescription Drugs Benefits
Prescription Drug Benefits
Drug Copay & Discounts
Prescription Drugs Your Costs
Annual Prescription Deductible $405
Initial Coverage Stage   Standard Network Pharmacy Cost Sharing (30 days) Preferred Mail Order Pharmacy (90 days)
Tier 1: Preferred Generic Drugs   $1 copay $3 copay
Tier 2: Generic Drugs   $5 copay $15 copay
Tier 3: Preferred Brand Drugs   $40 copay $120 copay
Tier 4: Non-Preferred Generic/Brand Drugs   40% of the cost 40% of the cost
Tier 5: Special Tier Drugs   25% of the cost 25% of the cost
Coverage Gap Stage

Once a member’s total drug costs have reached $3,750, they move to the Coverage Gap Stage.

Generic Drugs

  • Member pays 44% of the price and the plan pays the remaining 56%. The amount paid by the plan (56%) does not count toward the members out-of-pocket costs. Only the amount paid by the member moves them through the coverage gap. 

Brand Name Drugs
  • Member pays 35% of the plans negotiated price and a portion of the dispensing fee. The manufacturer provides a 50% discount excluding any dispensing fee. The amount paid by the member and the manufacturer discounted amount count towards the members out-of-pocket cost. The amount paid by the plan (10%) does not count towards the members out-of-pocket cost.

Once the member’s out-of-pocket costs reach $5,000 they move to the Catastrophic Coverage Stage.

Catastrophic Coverage Stage

You enter the Catastrophic Coverage Stage after $5,000 is reached (excluding premiums), you will have to pay only one of the following through the end of the year: $3.35 copay for generic drugs, $8.35 copay for brand name drugs or a 5% co-insurance, whichever is greater. On January 1 each year, the five drug payment stages start over.


  • Members may use any pharmacy not in the network but may not receive negotiated retail pharmacy pricing. Copays apply after deductible.

  • You are not required to use Farm Bureau Essential Rx mail order to obtain a 90-day supply of your maintenance medication. New prescriptions for Farm Bureau Essential Rx mail order should arrive within ten business days from the date the completed order is received and refill orders should arrive in about seven business days. Contact Farm Bureau Essential Rx at 1-866-643-6924 (TTY 711), 8am to 8pm, 7days a week.

  • Farm Bureau Essential Rx (PDP) is an affiliate of Members Health Insurance Company. Copays and coinsurance apply for all tiers during initial coverage phase and do not apply during coverage gap. Different copays or coinsurance apply during the catastrophic stage. 


Ready to Enroll?

Farm Bureau Health Plans is proud to offer two Medicare Part D prescription drug plans at an affordable cost.

Get started by calling 844-368-8738 (TTY 711)